Please forward this error screen to s104-238-lindsays a Christian Now PDF-60. Follow the link for more information. Angus in Scotland, and has a population of 23,902.
Författare: Lindsay Lleras.
While there is evidence for settlement of the area now occupied by the town that dates back to the Iron Age, Arbroath’s history as a town begins in the High Middle Ages with the founding of Arbroath Abbey in 1178. The town is notable as the home of the Declaration of Arbroath, as well as the Arbroath smokie. The earliest recorded name for the town was ‚Aberbrothock‘, a reference to the Brothock Burn which runs through the town, the prefix ‚Aber‘ coming either from the Gaelic ‚Obair‘, or the earlier Brythonic term ‚Aber‘ for ‚confluence‘ or ‚river mouth‘. The modern name ‚Arbroath‘ became more common in the mid-19th century, the older name being largely dispensed with by the time of the first edition of the Ordnance Survey Maps. The area around Arbroath has been occupied since at least the Neolithic period. Bronze age archaeology is to be found in abundance in the surrounding area.
Examples include the short-cist burials found near West Newbigging, about a mile to the North of the town. These burials included pottery urns, a pair of silver discs and a gold armlet. The area appears to have been of some importance in the early Christian period, as evidenced by the Pictish stone carvings found during the restoration of St Vigeans Church, and now housed in the small museum there. The stones had been used in the building of the old church and many had been badly damaged. The first modern development in Arbroath was the Abbey, founded by King William the Lion in 1178 for monks of the Tironensian order from Kelso Abbey. Arbroath was the location of the Battle of Arbroath in 1446.
A series of disagreements between the Chief Justiciary of Arbroath, Alexander Lindsay, third Earl of Crawford and Bishop James Kennedy of St Andrews resulted in Lindsay sacking the bishop’s lands and burning his properties. The abbey relatively quickly fell into disuse and eventual disrepair after its dissolution at the Reformation, the lead from the roof rumoured to have been used in the 16th century civil wars and the stonework plundered for housebuilding throughout the town. The ruins were a popular site for travellers during the 17th and 18th centuries, and finally in 1815 the remains were taken into the care of the State for preservation. On 6 April 1320 the Scottish Parliament met at Arbroath Abbey and addressed to the Pope the Declaration of Arbroath, drafted by the Abbot of the time, Bernard. Arbroath was created a royal burgh in 1599 by James VI. In the 17th century, at the church of St Vigeans, near Arbroath, communion was not held for several years because the villagers believed there was a curse on the church. The curse said that if communion were held then the church would fall into a large subterranean lake.
During the Jacobite rising known as the Forty-Five, Arbroath was a Jacobite town. A large portion of its able bodied men joined the Jacobite army. It was one of the principal ports where men and supplies could be landed from France. During the Industrial Revolution, Arbroath’s economy expanded and the population of the town expanded, with new housing having to be constructed to house the influx of workers. Arbroath today is mostly known for its connection with the Scottish fishing industry. After the original harbours, dating from the 14th and 18th centuries, were replaced in 1839 with a larger harbour, the local council tried to find fishermen who would be interested in migrating to Arbroath in order to take advantage of the new facilities offered. The 19th century saw major development in healthcare in Arbroath.