It has been requested that the title of this article be changed. See also: History of Washington, Syracuse Landmarks: An Aia Guide to Downtown and Historic Neighborhoods PDF. Logan equestrian statue stands in the center of Logan Circle.
Författare: Evamaria Hardin.
Originally known as Iowa Circle, the park was renamed by Congress in 1930 in honor of John A. The former residence of John A. Logan is on the far left. In the early 20th century, 14th Street NW rose to prominence as a main shopping district for both black and white Washingtonians on the edge of downtown Washington D.
In 1956, the three inner lanes of 13th Street were paved across Logan Circle to speed the influx of suburban workers into DC. In 1980, to encourage more people to use Metro, the inner lanes across Logan Circle were closed. Later they were removed and the park restored. During the 1980s and 1990s, Logan Circle, although dominated by Victorian homes which had survived mostly untouched by redevelopment or riots, was considered by many unsafe due to overt drug use and prostitution that existed in the neighborhood. The Central Union Mission’s longtime facility in Logan Circle was sold in 2008.
Redevelopment plans include new office space or luxury residential units. During the 2000s, the area gentrified and housing costs sharply increased after derelict buildings were torn down or remodeled. See also: Geography of Washington, D. List of circles in Washington, D.
The Logan Circle Historic District is an eight-block area surrounding the circle, containing 135 late-19th-century residences designed predominantly in the Late Victorian and Richardsonian Romanesque styles of architecture. In addition to the Logan Circle Historic District, the neighborhood includes the much larger Fourteenth Street Historic District, added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 9, 1994. 1873, an ELCA Lutheran church situated on the north side of Thomas Circle. Originally known as Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church of Washington, D.